Mission and Purpose
To maintain and enhance a strong, effective, and efficient national network of Statewide Assistive Technology Programs, which enables individuals with disabilities, service providers and others to learn about, access, and acquire assistive technology (AT) needed for education, employment, and community living. ATAP accomplishes its mission by
- Enhancing the effectiveness of AT Programs on the national, state, and local level
- Providing a forum for member states and territories to study, deliberate, and act upon matters affecting the national network of Statewide AT Programs.
- Providing resources for the formulation and expression of the collective points of view of Statewide AT Programs on critical issues that impact access to and acquisition of AT.
- Serving as an advisory body to the Administration on Community Living, other federal agencies, organizations, and entities, on issues affecting access to and acquisition of AT.
- Providing a means of communication and joint action with other organizations promoting access to and acquisition of assistive technology.
- Supporting and participating in research and demonstration projects that increase access to and acquisition of assistive technology.
- Advocating for the enhancement of the national network of Statewide Assistive Technology Programs, the reauthorization of the Assistive Technology Act and increasing federal appropriations for the Assistive Technology Act.